Virendra N. Sehgal*, Shalini Malhotra and Venkatesh Ramesh
Dermato-Venereology (Skin/VD center, Sehgal Nursing Home, Panchwati-Delhi, India
Departments of Dermatology and Venereology, Vardhman Mahavir Medical College and Safdarjung hospital, New Delhi, India
Received: 25 February, 2015; Accepted: 25 April, 2015; Published: 27 April, 2015
Dir. Prof. (Dr.) Virendra N Sehgal MD, FNASc, FAMS, FRAS (Lond.), Dermato-Venereology (Skin/VD) Centre, Sehgal Nursing Home, A-6 Panchwati, Delhi 110 033 India, Tel: 011-27675363, Mobile: 9810182241; Fax: 91-11-2767-0373; Email:
Sehgal VN, Malhotra S, Ramesh V (2015) Nodular Scabies of the Genitals. Int J Dermatol Clin Res 1(1): 010. DOI: 10.17352/2455-8605.000004
© 2015 Sehgal VN, et al. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited.
A 20 years-old-man, a native Indian of low socio-economic reckoning, had come to clinic with the complaints of severe nocturnal itching of the genitals for the past one month. A similar complaint was registered by other members of the household. The early diagnosis of the condition seemed to have been overlooked, because of conspicuous sparing of the usual sites namely the anterior axillary folds, elbows, wrists, webs of the fingers and around the umbilicus of the abdomen. Skin surface examination of the genitals, however, was remarkable, because it was studded by nodules of the size varying from 0.5 to 1cm. They were numerous (Figure 1a). Burrows were interspersed amongst them, and had miscellaneous configuration, harbouring Sarcoptes scabiei (Figure 1b). The imperative of its demonstration are emphasized to confirm the diagnosis.
- Walton SF, Holt DC, Currie BJ, Kemp DJ (2004) Scabies: new future for a neglected disease. Adv Parasitol 57: 309-376.
- Alexander JO (1984) Infestation by Hemiptera. In: Arthropods and Human Skin. Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag Pp: 57-74.
- Currie B, Hengge U (2006) Scabies. In Tyring S, Lupi O, Hengge U. eds. Tropical dermatology. Elsevier Churchchill Livingstone, London, United Kingdom. Pp: 375-388.
- Sehgal VN, Rao TL, Rege VL, Vadiraj SN (1972) Scabies: a study of incidence and a treatment method. Int J Dermatol 11: 106-111.
- Hay RJ (2009) Scabies and pyodermas--diagnosis and treatment. Dermatol Ther 22: 466-474.
- Sehgal VN, Verma P, Khurana A (2012) Sarcoptes scabiei and scabies. In Textbook of dermatoses in tropics. Sehgal VN Ed. J.P Brothers. Delhi (In Press).
- Lacarrubba F, Musumeci ML, Caltabiano R, Impallomeni R, West DP, et al. (2001) High-magnification videodermatoscopy: a new noninvasive diagnostic tool for scabies in children. Pediatr Dermatol 18: 439-441.