Ziyad K Mohammad*, Rola Shadid, Mohamad Kaadna, Ala Qabaha and Abu-Hussein Muhamad
Conservative and Prosthodontic Department, Faculty of Dentistry, Arab American University of Jenin, Palestine
Received: 30 August, 2016; Accepted: 06 September, 2016; Published: 10 September, 2016
Ziyad k. Mohammad, Conservative and Prosthodontic Department, Faculty of Dentistry, Arab American University of Jenin, Palestine, E-maill:
Mohammad ZK, Shadid R, Kaadna M, Qabaha A, Muhamad AH (2016) Position of the Mental Foramen in a Northern Regional Palestinian Population. Int J Oral Craniofac Sci 2(1): 057-064. 10.17352/2455-4634.000020
© 2016 Mohammad ZK, et al. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited.
Mental Foramen; Panoramic radiograph; Palestinian population; Radiologic appearance, Antero-posterior position
Background: The Mental Foramen is one of important anatomical features frequently encountered in maxillofacial surgical procedures in premolars area. Its position has been shown to vary according to race. In this study researchers aim to study the position, shape, and appearance of the Mental Foramen, as seen on panoramic radiographs of Palestinians, and to compare our findings with international values.
Materials and methods: A randomly selected panoramic radiographs (368 with 736 sides) from the records of dental patients attending three dental services in north of Palestine, the mental foramina’s anterior–posterior position, shape, and radiologic appearance were subjected to analysis.
Results: The most frequent anterior–posterior position was in the area between the long axes of first and second mandibular premolar teeth. The most frequent appearance was the continuous type and majority of foramina were rounded in shape.
Conclusion: The position of the Mental Foramen on panoramic radiographs in this selected group of Palestinians was most commonly between the mandibular premolars. The continuous type and rounded shape of the Mental Foramen was founded in majority of cases. These results are similar to previous findings in Caucasian populations.
Mental Foramen is a small foramen situated in anterolateral aspect of the body of the mandible. Normally, Mental Foramen is located below the interval between the premolars . It transmits mental nerve, artery and vein. Mental nerve is a branch of inferior alveolar nerve which supplies sensation to lower lip and the labial mucosa and lower canines and premolars. The most useful injection for anaesthetizing the mandibular teeth is the inferior alveolar nerve block . To anaesthetize the anterior teeth, including the premolars and canines, it is possible to avoid giving inferior alveolar nerve block by injecting anesthetic solution adjacent to the Mental Foramen. So the study of position and morphological variation of Mental Foramen is very important because it will be helpful to localize the important neurovascular bundle passing through the Mental Foramen [1,2] (Figure 1).
- Snell R (2004) Clinical Anatomy for Medical Students, 7th edition. Maryland: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. 768-785.
- Keith L Moore (2010) Clinical Oriented Anatomy, 6th edition, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins 824: 926.
- Wadu SG, Penhall B, Townsend GC (1997) Morphological variability of the human inferior alveolar nerve. Clin Anat 10: 82-87.
- Moiseiwitsch JR (1998) Position of the mental foramen in a North American, white population. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 85: 457-460.
- Mraiwa N, Jacobs R, Moerman P, Lambrichts I, van Steenberghe D, et al. (2003) Presence and course of the incisive canal in the human mandibular interforaminal region: two-dimensional imaging versus anatomical observations. Surg Radiol Anat 25: 416-423.
- Dario LJ (2002) Implant placement above a bifurcated mandibular canal: a case report. Implant Dent 11: 258-261.
- Mbajiorgu EF (2000) A study of the position of the mandibular foramen in adult black Zimbabwean mandibles. Cent Afr J Med 46: 184-190.
- Neiva RF, Gapski R, Wang HL (2004) Morphometric analysis of implant-related anatomy in Caucasian skulls. J Periodontol 75: 1061-1067.
- Fishel D, Buchner A, Hershkowith A, Kaffe I (1976) Roentgenologic study of the mental foramen. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 41: 682-686.
- von Arx T, Friedli M, Sendi P, Lozanoff S, Bornstein MM (2013) Location and dimensions of the mental foramen: a radiographic analysis by using cone-beam computed tomography. J Endod 39: 1522-1528.
- Ngeow WC, Yuzawati Y (2003) The location of the mental foramen in a selected Malay population. J Oral Sci 45: 171-175.
- Morrison A, Chiarot M, Kirby S (2002) Mental nerve function after inferior alveolar nerve transposition for placement of dental implants. J Can Dent Assoc 68: 46-50.
- Angel JS, Mincer HH, Chaudhry J, Scarbecz M (2011) Cone-beam computed tomography for analyzing variations in inferior alveolar canal location in adults in relation to age and sex. J Forensic Sci 56: 216-219.
- Roy PP, Ambali MP, Doshi MA, Jadhav SD (2014) Variation in the position shape and direction of mental foramen in dry mandible. Int J Anat Res 2: 418-420.
- Matsuda Y (1927) Location of the Dental Foramina in Human Skulls from Statistical Observations. International Journal of Orthodontia, Oral Surgery and Radiography 13: 299-305.
- De Freitas V, Madeira MC, Pinto CCT, Zorzetto NL (1976) Direction of the Mental Canal in Human Mandibles." Australian Dental Journal 21: 338-340.
- Gershenson AH, Nathan and E. Luchansky (1986) Mental Foramen and Mental Nerve: Changes with Age. Cells Tissues Organs 126: 21-28.
- Kekere-Ekun TA (1989) "Antero-Posterior Location of the Mental Foramen in Nigerians. Afr Dent J 3: 2-8.
- Kjaer I (1989) Formation and Early Prenatal Location of the Human Mental Foramen. Scandinavian Journal of Dental Research 97: 1-7.
- Yosue T, Brooks SL (1989) The Appearance of Mental Foramina on Panoramic and Periapical Radiographs .2. Experimental Evaluation. Oral Surgery Oral Medicine Oral Pathology Oral Radiology and Endodontics 68: 488-492.
- Santini A, Land M (1990) A Comparison of the Position of the Mental Foramen in Chinese and British Mandibles. Acta Anatomica 137: 208- 212.
- Mwaniki DL, Hassanali J (1992) The Position of Mandibular and Mental Foramina in Kenyan African Mandibles. East African Medical Journal 69: 210-213.
- Phillips JL, Weller RN, Kulild JC (1992) The Mental Foramen: 2. Radiographic Position in Relation to the Mandibular Second Premolar. J Endod 18: 271-274.
- Shankland WE (1994) The Position of the Mental Foramen in Asian Indians. J Oral Implantol 20: 118-123.
- Soikkonen K, Wolf J, Ainamo A, Xie Q (1995). "Changes in the Position of the Mental Foramen as a Result of Alveolar Atrophy." Journal of Oral Rehabilitation 22: 831-833.
- al Jasser NM, Nwoku AL (1998). "Radiographic Study of the Mental Foramen in a Selected Saudi Population." Dentomaxillofacial Radiology 27: 341-343.
- Berge JK, Bergman RA (2001). "Variations in Size and in Symmetry of Foramina of the Human Skull." Clinical Anatomy 14: 406-413.
- Aktekin MZ, Celik HM, Celik HH, Aldur MM, Aksit MD (2003) Studies on the Location of the Mental Foramen in Turkish Mandibles. Morphologie 87: 17-19.
- Roopa R, Manjunath KY, Balasubramanum V (2003) "The Direction and Location of Mental Foramen and Incidence of Accessory Mental Foramen in South Indian Mandibles." Indian J Dent Res 14: 57-58.
- Olasoji HO, Tahir A, Ekanem AU, Abubakar AA (2004) "Radiographic and Anatomic Locations of Mental Foramen in Northern Nigerian Adults." Niger Postgrad Med J 11: 230-233.
- Smajilagić A, Dilberović F (2004) "Clinical and Anatomy Study of the Human Mental Foramen." Bosn J Basic Med Sci 4: 15-23.
- Agthong S, Huanmanop T, Chentanez V (2005) "Anatomical Variations of the Supraorbital, Infraorbital, and Mental Foramina Related to Gender and Side." Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 63: 800-804.
- Apinhasmit W, Chompoopong S, Methathrathip D, Sansuk R, Phetphunphiphat W (2006). "Supraorbital Notch/Foramen, Infraorbital Foramen and Mental Foramen in Thais: Anthropometric Measurements and Surgical Relevance." Journal of the Medical Association of Thailand 89: 675-682.
- Prabodha L, Nanayakkara B (2006) "The Position, Dimensions and Morphological Variations of Mental Foamen in Mandibles." Galle Medical Journal 11: 13-15.
- Kim IS1, Kim SG, Kim YK, Kim JD (2006) "Position of the Mental Foramen in a Korean Population: A Clinical and Radiographic Study." Implant Dent 15: 404-411.
- Fabian FM (2007) "Position, Shape and Direction of Opening of the Mental Foramen in Dry Mandibles of Tanzanian Adult Black Males." Ital J Anat Embryol 112: 169-177.
- Al-Khateeb T, Al-Hadi Hamasha A, Ababneh KT (2007) "Position of the Mental Foramen in a Northern Regional Jordanian Population." Surgical and Radiologic Anatomy 29: 231-237.
- Yeşilyurt H, Aydinlioglu A, Kavakli A, Ekinci N, Eroglu C, et al. (2008) "Local Differences in the Position of the Mental Foramen." Folia Morphologica 67: 32-35.
- Oliveira EM,Araujo ALD, Da Silva CMF, Sousa-Rodrigues CF, Lima FJC (2009) "Morphological and Morphometric Study of the MentalForamen on the M-Cp-18 Jiachenjiang Point." International Journal of Morphology 27: 231-238.
- Haghanifar S, Rokouei M (2009) "Radiographic Evaluation of the Mental Foramen in a Selected Iranian Population." Indian J Dent Res 20: 150-152.
- Lopes P, Pereira G, Santos A (2010) Location of the Mental Foramen in Dry Mandibles of Adult Individuals in Southern Brazil. J Morphol 27: 23-25.
- Pria CM, Masood F, Beckerley JM, Carson RE (2011) "Study of the Inferior Alveolar Canal and Mental Foramenon Digital Panoramic Images." The Journal of Contemporary Dental Practice 12: 265-271.
- Rupesh S, Winnier JJ, John SA, Joy T, Rao AP, et al. (2011) "Radiographic Study of the Location of Mental Foramen in a Randomly Selected Asian Indian Population on Digital Panoramic Radiographs." Journal of Medical Sciences 11: 90-95.
- Parmar A, Shah K, Patel B, Jadav J, Trivedi B, et al (2013) "Morphological and Morphometric Analysis of Mental Foramen in Dry Human Mandibles." Int J Med Sci Public Health 2: 640-644.
- Haktanir A, Ilgaz K, Turhan-Haktanir N (2010) Evaluation of mental foramina in adult living crania with MDCT. Surg Radiol Anat 32: 351-356.
- Abu-Hussein M, Watted N (2015) Prevalence of Tooth Transposition in Arab Israelian (Arab48) Population; A retrospective study. Journal of Dental and Medical Sciences 14: 65-71.
- Nezar Watted, Emad Hussein, Obaida Awadi, Muhamad Abu-Hussein (2014) Transmigration of Impacted Canines: A Report of Two Cases and a Review of the Literature, RRJDS 2: 23-32.
- Watted N, Abu-Hussein M, Hussein E, Proff P (2015) A Dental Transposition: Literature Review and Clinical Management. Journal of Dental and Medical Sciences 14: 80-85.