Abstract

    Open Access Research Article Article ID: ACMPH-5-146

    Prevalence and Determinate Factors of Diarrhea Morbidity among Under five Children in Shake Zone, Southwest Ethiopia, a Community Based Cross-Sectional Study

    Tezera Abebe Gashaw* and Yilkal Messelu Walie

    Despite the global decline in the death rates of Under five children, the risk of a child dying before becoming 5 years of age remains highest in the African Region (90 per 1000 live births), which is approximately seven times higher than that in the European Region (12 per 1000 live births).The purpose of this study was to identify socio-economic, demographic, environmental and nutrition characteristics predictors affecting diarrheal Morbidity of under-five children in Sheka zone, South west Ethiopia. A Community-based cross-sectional study was conducted in Sheka zone, from September 1–September 14, 2018. A Sample of 582 under-five children were selected randomly from Kebeles in the zone constituted the study population. Data were collected using structured and pre-tested questionnaire. Descriptive, Bivariate and multiple binary logistic regressions were employed for data analysis by using SPSS 20. The descriptive results showed that 21.8% of under-five children have experienced diarrhea in the two weeks prior to the time of survey. The remaining 78.2% of under-five children have no experienced diarrhea in the two weeks prior to the time of survey. In multiple logistic regression, the most important determinant factors associated with diarrhea morbidity were stunting, underweight, Child had fever, ever had Vaccination, Employment (working) status of mother, mother education level, source of water supply, and mother underweight. Therefore the Government local health organizations should provide health intervention programs and maternal health awareness (health education for mothers) to reduce under-five children diarrhea morbidity.

    Keywords:

    Published on: Feb 7, 2019 Pages: 8-14

    Full Text PDF Full Text HTML DOI: 10.17352/2455-5479.000046
    Get Citation Base Search Scilit OAI-PMH ResearchGate GrowKudos CrossMark

    Global Views

    Case Reports

    Peertechz Tweets

    Pinterest on ACMPH