Samy I. McFarlane, MD, MPH, MBA, FACP
Samy I. McFarlane, MD, MPH, MBA, FACP, is a Distinguished Teaching Professor College of Medicine, State University of New York Downstate Medical Center.
Dr. McFarlane currently holds Professorship appointments in the Departments of Medicine, Division of Endocrinology, Department of Emergency Medicine, and Radiology. He is also the Medical Director for the SUNY Downstate Physician Assistant Program in the College of Health Related Professions.
He is the founding Co-Editor for ENDOCRINE TODAY and served as Editor-In-Chief or Associate editor for multiple Peer reviewed journal.
Dr. McFarlane has made a significant impact on the lives of students, residents, and junior faculty he trained. He is known as a leader in the medical community for promoting minority trainees, many of whom hold leadership positions and were able to advance in academic careers through his mentorship.
Dr. McFarlane’s educational portfolio is broad. In addition to his teaching activities for the College of Medicine and being the Director for the Internal Medicine Clerkship, he is the founding director of the Emergency Medicine Clerkship as well. He also developed the curriculum for “Principles of Bone Densitometry.” And jointly developed and taught a course with Dr. Moro Salifu, the Chairman of the Department of Medicine on “Medicine and Public Health” for the School of Public Health at SUNY-Downstate.
Dr. McFarlane has edited and co-authored the widely-used review book, First Aid for Medicine Clerkship, by McGraw-Hill and Co. 2000, 2005 and 2010. He also edited and co-authored multiple books in the areas of Diabetes, hypertension and cardiovascular disease. Furthermore, Dr. Mcfarlane authored or co-authored over 300 publications, among them were the most frequently cited and accessed articles in their respective journals.
His research in the areas of diabetes, hypertension, and bone metabolism has been supported by major national and international institutions, including the National Institutes of Health, the American Diabetes Association, and the National Kidney Foundation. He is a two-term member of the National Institutes of Health/National Institute of Diabetes Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIH)-(NIDDK) Committee, and served as a Chairman twice for NIH NIDDK U01 review committee.
He is frequently an invited speaker at national scientific meetings and major universities, and has received many awards, including the United States House of Representatives, the Arnold P. Gold Foundation for Humanism in Medicine and the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society.
List of Publications: 300
1. Masters A, R S, Pandi P, Seixas A, Jean-Louis G, McFarlane SI. Melatonin, the Hormone of Darkness: From Sleep Promotion to Ebola Treatment. Brain Disord Ther. 2014;4(1).2. Salifu I, Tedla F, Pandey A, Ayoub I, Brown C, McFarlane SI, et al. Sleep duration and chronic kidney disease: analysis of the national health interview survey. Cardiorenal Med. 2014;4(3-4):210-6.3. M. Mallappallil, EA Friedman, BG Delano, SI McFarlane and Moro Salifu. Chronic kidney disease in the elderly: evaluation and management - Clinical Practice, 2014
4. Feinman RD, Pogozelski WK, Astrup A, Bernstein Rk, Fine EJ, Westman EC,…McFarlane SI, et al. Dietary carbohydrate restriction as the first approach in diabetes management. Critical review and evidence base. Nutrition. 2014.5. Williams NJ, Jean-Louis G, Brown CD, McFarlane SI, Boutin-Foster C, Ogedegbe G.Telephone-delivered behavioral intervention among blacks with sleep apnea and metabolic syndrome: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial Trials. 2014 Jun 12;15:225. doi: 10.1186/1745-6215-15-225.6. Donat Brown C, Williams N, Pandey A, Racine C, McFarlane SI, and Jean-Louis G. Linking sleep duration and obesity among black and white US adults. Clinical Practice 10: 661-667.7. Amin AP et al (SI McFarlane Co-investigator). The synergistic relationship between estimated GFR and microalbuminuria in predicting long-term progression to ESRD or death in patients with diabetes: results from the Kidney Early Evaluation Program (KEEP). Am J Kidney Dis 61: S12-23.8. Jurkovitz CT (SI McFarlane Co-investigator). Association between lack of health insurance and risk of death and ESRD: results from the Kidney Early Evaluation Program (KEEP). Am J Kidney Dis 61: S24-32.9. Chang TI et al (SI McFarlane Co-investigator). Risk factors for ESRD in individuals with preserved estimated GFR with and without albuminuria: results from the Kidney Early Evaluation Program (KEEP). Am J Kidney Dis 61: S4-11.10. Maraj I, Makaryus JN, Ashkar A, McFarlane SI, Makaryus AN. Hypertension management in the high cardiovascular risk population. Int J Hypertens;2013:382802.11. Williams N, Abo Al Haija O, Workneh A, Sarpong, D., Keku, E., Ogedegbe, G., McFarlane, SI. , Jean-Louis, G. Excessive Daytime Sleepiness among Hypertensive US-Born Blacks and Foreign-Born Blacks: Analysis of the CAATCH Data. Int J Hypertens;2013:852389.
12. McFarlane,SI, Qureshi G, Singh G, Venner-Jones K, Salciccioli L, Lazar J. Bone Mineral Density as a Predictor of Atherosclerosis and Arterial Wall Stiffness in Obese African-American Women. Cardiorenal Med;2(4):328-334. 13. Saab G, Bomback AS, McFarlane SI, et al. The association of parathyroid hormone with ESRD and pre-ESRD mortality in the Kidney Early Evaluation Program. J Clin Endocrinol Metab;97(12):4414-21.
14. Schwartz GG, Olsson AG, Abt M, Ballantyne CM et al. McFarlane SI (co-investigator). Effects of dalcetrapib in patients with a recent acute coronary syndrome. N Engl J Med 367: 2089-2099.
15. Bamimore A, Olafiranye O, Demede M, Zizi F, Browne R, Brown C, McFarlane SI, and Jean-Louis G. High Prevalence of Hypertension and Other Cardiometabolic Risk Factors in US- and Caribbean-Born Blacks with Chest Pain Syndromes. Cardiorenal Med 2: 163-167.
16. Forte V, Pandey A, Abdelmessih R, Forte G, Whaley-Connell A, Sowers JR, and McFarlane SI. Obesity, Diabetes, the Cardiorenal Syndrome, and Risk for Cancer. Cardiorenal Med 2: 143-162
17. Olafiranye O, Ibrahim M, Kamran H, Venner-Jones K, McFarlane SI, Salciccioli L, and Lazar JM. Narrowed Aortoseptal Angle Is Related to Increased Central Blood Pressure and Aortic Pressure Wave Reflection. Cardiorenal Med 2: 177-183.
18. The ORIGIN Trial Investigators Gerstein HC, Bosch J, Dagenais GR, Diaz R, Jung H, Maggioni AP, Pogue J, Probstfield J, Ramachandran A, Riddle MC, Ryden LE, and Yusuf S. McFarlane S (Collaborator). Basal insulin and cardiovascular and other outcomes in dysglycemia. N Engl J Med 367: 319-328.
19. The ORIGIN Trial Investigators Bosch J, Gerstein HC, Dagenais GR, Diaz R, Dyal L, Jung H, Maggiono AP, Probstfield J, Ramachandran A, Riddle MC, Ryden LE, and Yusuf S. n-3 fatty acids and cardiovascular outcomes in patients with dysglycemia. N Engl J Med 367: 309-318.
20. Saab G, Bomback AS, McFarlane SI, Li S, Chen SC, McCullough PA, and Whaley-Connell A. The Association of Parathyroid Hormone with ESRD and Pre-ESRD Mortality in the Kidney Early Evaluation Program. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 97: 4414-4421.
21. Saab G, Whaley-Connell A, Bombeck A, Kurella Tamura M, Li S, Chen SC, McFarlane SI, Sowers JR, Norris K, Bakris GL, and McCullough PA. The Association between Parathyroid Hormone Levels and the Cardiorenal Metabolic Syndrome in Non-Diabetic Chronic Kidney Disease. Cardiorenal Med 1: 123-130.
22. Whaley-Connll and Bomback AS, McFarlane SI, Li S, Roberts T, Chen SC, Collins AJ, Norris K, Bakris GL, Sowers JR, and McCullough PA. Diabetic Cardiovascular Disease Predicts Chronic Kidney Disease Awareness in the Kidney Early Evaluation Program. Cardiorenal Med 1: 45-52.
23. Whaley-Connell A, Shlipak MG, Inker LA, Kurella Tamura M, Bomback AS, Saab G, Szpunar SM, McFarlane SI, Li S, Chen SC, Norris K, Bakris GL, and McCullough PA. Awareness of kidney disease and relationship to end-stage renal disease and mortality. Am J Med 125: 661-669.
24. Zizi F, Pandey A, Murrray-Bachmann R, Vincent M, McFarlane S, Ogedegbe G, and Jean-Louis G. Race/ethnicity, sleep duration, and diabetes mellitus: analysis of the National Health Interview Survey. Am J Med 125: 162-167.
25. Agrawal V, Jaar BG, Frisby XY, Chen SC, Qiu Y, Li S, Whaley-Connell AT, McCullough PA, and Bomback AS. McFarlane SI (Investigator) Access to health care among adults evaluated for CKD: findings from the Kidney Early Evaluation Program (KEEP). Am J Kidney Dis 59: S5-15.
26. Jurkovitz CT, Elliott D, Li S, Saab G, Bomback AS, Norris KC, Chen SC, McCullough PA, and Whaley-Connell AT. McFarlane SI (Investigator) Physician utilization, risk-factor control, and CKD progression among participants in the Kidney Early Evaluation Program (KEEP). Am J Kidney Dis 59: S24-33.
27. Shah A, Fried LF, Chen SC, Qiu Y, Li S, Cavanaugh KL, Norris KC, Whaley-Connell AT, McCullough PA, and Mehrotra R. McFarlane SI (Investigator) Associations between access to care and awareness of CKD. Am J Kidney Dis 59: S16-23.
28. Saab G, Chen SC, Li S, Bomback AS, Whaley-Connell AT, Jurkovitz CT, Norris KC, and McCullough PA. McFarlane SI (Investigator) Association of physician care with mortality in Kidney Early Evaluation Program (KEEP) participants. Am J Kidney Dis 59: S34-39
29. Philippe R. Akhras and Samy I. McFarlane. Telmisartan and Cardioprotection. Vascular Health and Risk Management, Dover Press. 2011:7 677–683
30. Pandey A ; Forte, V.; Abdallah, M.; Alickaj, A.; Mahmud, S.; Asad, S.; McFarlane, S. I. Diabetes Mellitus and the Risk of Cancer. Minerva Endocrinol;36(3):187-209.
31. Demede, M.; Pandey, A.; Zizi, F.; Bachmann, R.; Donat, M.; McFarlane, S. I.; Jean-Louis, G.; Ogedegbe, G. Resistant hypertension and obstructive sleep apnea in the primary-care setting. Int J Hypertens;2011:340929
32.Demede M, Pandey A, Innasimuthu L, Jean-Louis G, McFarlane SI, Ogedegbe G. Management of hypertension in high-risk ethnic minority with heart failure. Int J Hypertens;2011:417594
33. McFarlane, S. I.; McCullough, P. A.; Sowers, J. R.; Soe, K.; Chen, S. C.; Li, S.; Vassalotti, J. A.; Stevens, L. A.; Salifu, M. O.; Kurella Tamura, M.; Bomback, A. S.; Norris, K. C.; Collins, A. J.; Bakris, G. L.; Whaley-Connell, A. T. Comparison of the CKD Epidemiology Collaboration (CKD-EPI) and Modification of Diet in Renal Disease (MDRD) study equations: prevalence of and risk factors for diabetes mellitus in CKD in the Kidney Early Evaluation Program (KEEP). Am J Kidney Dis;57(3 Suppl 2):S24-31.
34. Olafiranye, O.; Zizi, F.; Brimah, P.; Jean-Louis, G.; Makaryus, A. N.; McFarlane, S.; Ogedegbe, G. Management of Hypertension among Patients with Coronary Heart Disease. Int J Hypertens;2011:653903.
35. Alfrede Provilus, Marie Abdallah and Samy I. McFarlane. Weight gain associated with antidiabetic medications. Therapy (2011)8(2),113-120.
36. Samy I. McFarlane and Gul Bahtiyar. The diabetes epidemic: addressing diagnostic and therapeutic challenges. Therapy (2011)8(2),103-104.
37. McCullough, P. A., A. Whaley-Connell, Brown, W. W., Collins, A. J. Chen, S. C., Li, S., Norris, K. C. ,Jurkovitz, C., McFarlane, S., Obialo, C., Sowers, J., Stevens, L., Vassalotti, J. A., Bakris, G. L. "Cardiovascular risk modification in participants with coronary disease screened by the Kidney Early Evaluation Program." Intern Med J 40(12): 833-41.
38. Karam, J. G. and S. I. McFarlane "Update on the Prevention of Type 2 Diabetes." Curr Diab Rep.
39. Pandey, A., M. Demede, Zizi, F, Al Haija’a, OA, Nwamaghinna, F, Jean-Louis, G. and McFarlane, SI "Sleep Apnea and Diabetes: Insights into the Emerging Epidemic." Curr Diab Rep.
40. Muneyyrici-Delale, O, F. Nessim, Mathur, D. Osei-Tutu, N. Karam, J. Parris, R. McFarlane, S. I. "Bone mineral density in African–American women with symptomatic uterine leiomyoma." Womens Health (Lond Engl) 6(5): 673-7.
41. Soe, K., A. Alam, Philip, C, Ruiz, E, Ramikissoon, K, and McFarlane, SI "Cardiovascular Risk Reduction via Increasing HDL Cholesterol: The Promise of the dal-OUTCOMES Trial." Curr Diab Rep.
42. Williams, S. K., J. Ravenell, Jean-Louis, G, Zizi, F, Underberg, JA, McFarlane, SI and Ogedegbe, G. "Resistant Hypertension and Sleep Apnea: Pathophysiologic Insights and Strategic Management." Curr Diab Rep.
43. Jean-Louis G, Brown C, Zizi F, Ogedegbe G, Boutin-Foster C, Gorga J, McFarlane SI. Cardiovascular disease risk reduction with sleep apnea treatment. Expert Rev. Cardiovasc. Ther. 8(7), 995-1005 (2010)
44. Ismail H, Mitchell R, McFarlane SI, Makaryus AN: Pleiotropic effects of inhibitors of the RAAS in the diabetic population: above and beyond blood pressure lowering. Curr Diab Rep. 2010 Feb;10(1):32-6.
45. Chaudhary K, Phadke G, Nistala R, Weidmeyer CE, McFarlane SI, Whaley-Connell A: The emerging role of biomarkers in diabetic and hypertensive chronic kidney disease. Curr Diab Rep. 2010 Feb;10(1):37-42.
46. Karam J and McFarlane SI. Tackling Obesity: New therapeutic agents for assisted weight loss. Diabetes, Metabolic Syndrome and Obesity: Targets and Therapy. April 2010; Volume 3, pages 95-112.
47. Christi Hayes, Anis Alam, Julie Black-Peart and Samy I. McFarlane. Mitigating the Cardiovascular Risk of Anemia in Patients with Type II Diabetes and CKD: Does Darbepoetin Help? The TREAT Trial. Curr Diab Rep. 2010 Apr;10(2):87-9.
48. Zizi F, Jean-Louis G, Brown CD, Ogedegbe G, Boutin-Foster C, McFarlane SI: Sleep duration and the risk of diabetes mellitus: epidemiologic evidence and pathophysiologic insights. Curr Diab Rep. 2010 Feb;10(1):43-7.
49. Salifu MO, Abbott KC, Aytug S, McFarlane SI et al. New-Onset Diabetes after Hemodialysis Initiation: Impact on Survival. Am J Nephrol; 31:239-246.
50. McCullough PA, Whaley-Connell A, Brown WW, Collins AJ, Chen SC, Li S, Norris KC, Jurkovitz C, McFarlane S, Obialo C, Sowers J, Stevens L, Vassalotti JA, Bakris GL; on Behalf of the KEEP Investigators. Cardiovascular risk modification in participants with coronary disease screened by the Kidney Early Evaluation Program. Intern Med J. 2010 Jan 4. [Epub ahead of print] NLM CIT. ID: 20059608 More.......