Zhongchang Wang received his Ph. D. in materials science from the University of Tokyo in Japan (2007). He thereafter spent two years (2008-2009) as a research associate at Advanced Institute for Materials Research, Tohoku University (Japan) and subsequently three years (2010-2013) as an assistant professor. In 2013, he was promoted to associate professor at Tohoku University. In 2016, he was also a visiting scientist at University College London (UCL), UK. Since 2017, Zhongchang Wang started as a principal investigator (PI) and senior staff researcher at INL, and established a research group of “Atomic Manipulation for Quantum Nanotechnology” at INL. He is going to work on structure-property interplay of two-dimensional materials and nanomaterials at the atomic scale so as to fulfill atomic manipulation of quantum nanostructures by combining transmission electron microscopy, spectroscopy, first-principles calculations and property assessment.
He has received a total of 19 research grants from government and companies, and (co-) authored over 190 peer-reviewed SCI-indexed papers in Nature, Nature Nanotech., Nature Commun. Adv. Mater., Angew Chemie, Nano Lett., ACS Nano, Phys. Rev. etc., with 10 papers appearing in Nature and its series. He has published two book chapters. He has also delivered over 40 invited talks in international conferences and received several awards from Japan and USA. He served as Lead Guest Editor of Frontiers in Chemistry (IF: 3.994), Lead Guest Editor of Journal of Nanomaterials (IF: 1.871) and Guest Editor of Journal of Spectroscopy (IF: 0.761).
Research Interest: Two-Dimensional Materials, Nanomaterials, Defects in Materials, Interfaces and Grain Boundaries, Thin-Film Growth, Chemical Vapor Deposition (CVD), Chemical Vapor Transport (CVT), Molecular Beam Epitaxy (MBE), Atomic-resolution Imaging, Scanning Transmission Electron Microscopy, Spectroscopy, In-Situ Experiments, Density Functional Theory Calculations, Preparation and Physics of Low-Dimensional Systems, Quantum Electron Transport, Magnetic Property, Optoelectronic Property, Multiferroics, Catalytic Property, Functional Devices.
URL of Official Website: http://inl.int/quantum-materials/atomic-manipulation-quantum-nanotechnology/
Grant/ Funding Details: Scientific Research B from Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS), 17 million JPY; Grant-in-Aid for Young Scientists A from JSPS, 23.5 million JPY.
Number of Publications : 195
1. Z. C. Wang, M. Saito, K. P. McKenna, S. Fukami, H. Sato, S. Ikeda, H. Ohno, and Y. Ikuhara “Atomic-Scale Structure and Local Chemistry of CoFeB-MgO Magnetic Tunnel Junctions”, Nano Letters 16, 1530−1536 (2016)
2. W. J. Liu, H. X. Zhang, J. A. Shi, Z. C. Wang, C. Song, X. R. Wang, S. Y. Lu, X. J. Zhou, L. Gu, D. V. Louzguine-Luzgin, M. W. Chen, K. F. Yao, and N. Chen “A Room-Temperature Magnetic Semiconductor from a Ferromagnetic Metallic Glass”, Nature Communications 7, 13497−1−6 (2016)
3. Y. Zou, Z. G. Chen, F. T. Kong, J. Lin, J. Drennan, K. Cho, Z. C. Wang*, and J. Zou “Planar Vacancies in Sn1-xBixTe Nanoribbons”, ACS Nano 10, 5507−5515 (2016)
4. C. L. Chen, Z. C. Wang*, T. Kato, N. Shibata, T. Taniguchi, and Y. Ikuhara “Misfit Accommodation Mechanism of the Heterointerface between Superhard Diamond and Cubic Boron Nitride”, Nature Communications 6, 6327−1−6 (2015)
5. R. Ang, Z. C. Wang*, C. L. Chen, J. Tang, N. Liu, Y. Liu, W. J. Lu, Y. P. Sun, T. Mori, and Y. Ikuhara
“Atomistic Origin of Ordered Superstructure Induced Superconductivity in Layered Chalcogenides”,Nature Communications 6, 6901−1−6 (2015)
6. R. Sun, Z. C. Wang*, M. Saito, N. Shibata, and Y. Ikuhara “Atomistic Mechanisms of Nonstoichiometry-Induced Twin Boundary Structural Transformation in Titanium Dioxide”, Nature Communications 6, 7120−1−7 (2015)
7. Y. X. Li, Z. C. Wang*, J. J. Yao, Z. G. Wang, C. L. Chen, R. Sun, Z. P. Tian, Y. J. Wang, C. T. Luo, Y. D. Yang, R. Viswan, J. F. Li, and D. Viehland “Magnetoelectric Quasi (0-3) Nanocomposite Heterostructures”,
Nature Communications 6, 6680−1−7 (2015) (Contributed equally)
8. H. K. Bian, X. D. Xu, Y. P. Li, Y. Koizumi, Z. C. Wang, M. W. Chen, K. Yamanaka, & A. Chiba
“Regulating the Coarsening of γ′ Phase in Superalloys”, NPG Asia Materials 7, e212−1−6 (2015)
9. C. L. Chen, , Z. C. Wang*, F. Lichtenberg, Y. Ikuhara, and J. G. Bednorz “Patterning Oxide Nanopillars at the Atomic Scale by Phase Transformation”, Nano Letters 15, 6469−6474 (2015)
10. T. Ohsawa, M. Saito, I. Hamada, R. Shimizu, K. Iwaya, S. Shiraki, Z. C. Wang, Y. Ikuhara, and T. Hitosugi “A Single-Atom-Thick TiO2 Nanomesh on an Insulating Oxide”, ACS Nano 9, 8766−8772 (2015)
11. Z. C. Wang*, M. Saito, K. P. McKenna, and Y. Ikuhara “Polymorphism of Dislocation Core Structures at the Atomic Scale”, Nature Communications 5, 3239−1−7 (2014)
12. Z. C. Wang*, M. Saito, C. L. Chen, Y. Matsubara, K. Ueno, M. Kawasaki, and Y. Ikuhara “Full Determination of Individual Reconstructed Atomic Columns in Intermixed Heterojunctions”, Nano Letters 14, 6584−6589 (2014)
13. K. P. McKenna, F. Hofer, D. Gilks, V. K. Lazarov, C. L. Chen, Z. C. Wang, and Y. Ikuhara
“Atomic Scale Structure and Properties of Highly Stable Antiphase Boundary Defects in Fe3O4”,
Nature Communications 5, 5740−1−8 (2014)
14. C. Chen, Z. C. Wang*, M. Saito, T. Tohei, Y. Takano, and Y. Ikuhara “Fluorine in Shark Teeth: Its Direct Atomic-Resolution Imaging and Strengthening Function”, Angewandte Chemie International Edition 126, 1569−1573 (2014)
15. Z. C. Wang*, L. Gu, M. Saito, S. Tsukimoto, M. Tsukada, F. Lichtenberg, Y. Ikuhara and J. G. Bednorz
“Spontaneous Structural Distortion and Quasi-One-Dimensional Quantum Confinement in a Single-Phase Compound”, Advanced Materials 25, 218−222 (2013)
16. I. Sugiyama, N. Shibata, Z. C. Wang, S. Kobayashi, T. Yamamoto, and Y. Ikuhara “Ferromagnetic Dislocations in Antiferromagnetic NiO”, Nature Nanotechnology 8, 266−270 (2013)
17. Z. C. Wang*, M. Saito, K. McKenna, L. Gu, S. Tsukimoto, A. Shluger, and Y. Ikuhara
“Atom-Resolved Imaging of Ordered Defect Superstructures at Individual Grain Boundaries”,
Nature 479, 380−383 (2011)
18. Z. C. Wang*, M. Okude, M. Saito, S. Tsukimoto, A. Ohtomo, M. Tsukada, M. Kawasaki, and Y. Ikuhara
“Dimensionality-Driven Insulator-Metal Transition in A-Site Excess Nonstoichiometric Perovskites”,
Nature Communications 1, 106−1−7 (2010)
19. Z. C. Wang*, M. Saito, S. Tsukimoto, and Y. Ikuhara “Interface Atomic-Scale Structure and its Impact on Quantum Electron Transport”, Advanced Materials 21, 4966−1969 (2009)
20. Z. C. Wang*, T. Kadohira, T. Tada, and S. Watanabe “Nonequilibrium Quantum Transport Properties of a Silver Atomic Switch”, Nano Letters 7, 2688−2692 (2007) and More.......